Little Snowball Fire Tower
Article is under construction, please check back soon.
|:||Main Page :||:|
Little Snowball Fire Tower is a tower once located on Little Snowball Mountain in Buncombe County, North Carolina. The 21 foot structure was built in 1934, and later moved to Big Ivy Historical Park. The stairs to the top are gated and locked. Call ahead to the park to access the cabin.
- Original Location, 35.726090, -82.426770
- Current Location, 35.761095, -82.431149
Hike Report 02-11-2017, 8.90 Mile Round-trip Loop Hike
- Take I-40 West to I-240.
- Take I-26 North.
- I-26 exit 15, turn right onto Hwy 197.
- In 6 miles, turn right onto Dillingham Road.
- In 2 miles, the tower will be on left (Big Ivy Historical Park), a little off the road situated behind a log cabin.
From Big Ivy Historical Park
- Resume Dillingham Road.
- In 0.2 miles, turn left to maintain Dillingham Road.
- In 1.4 miles, turn right onto Stoney Fork Road.
- In 2.6 miles, destination will be on right.
Note: Stoney Fork Road is a gravel road. Beyond the destination, the road is gated. This gate was observed open in October, and closed in February. Road leads to Craggy Gardens and the Blue Ridge Parkway north of Asheville.